Home SPORTS Coronavirus Outbreak: Complete cancellation of season could cost ECB £380 million, says...

Coronavirus Outbreak: Complete cancellation of season could cost ECB £380 million, says chief executive Tom Harrison – Firstpost

Advertisement





London: English cricket could lose as a lot as £380 million if the whole season is worn out as a result of COVID-19 pandemic, ECB chief executive Tom Harrison has claimed.

The projected loss takes into consideration the worldwide in addition to home video games. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had final week suspended county season till July, with 9 rounds deserted.

 Coronavirus Outbreak: Complete cancellation of season could cost ECB £380 million, says chief executive Tom Harrison

Representative picture. Reuters

“We anticipate that with no cricket this year — as a worst-case scenario for our planning purposes — that could be as bad as 380million. That would be the loss of 800 days of cricket across all our professional clubs and the ECB as well,” Harrison was quoted as saying by thecricketer.com.

“If you’re taking all of that income and put it in danger, that’s the worst-case state of affairs for us this yr. Unquestionably, for cricket it’s the most important monetary problem we have ever confronted.

“Our ability to mitigate the potential financial impact does require us to try, where it’s safe to do so and with government support, fill that hole. We are staring at a 100million-plus loss this year, whatever happens,” Harrison mentioned.

The ECB has already created a £61 million rescue package deal for the 18 county sides and has been providing grants and loans to leisure golf equipment, impacted by the outbreak.

Advertisement




Advertisement




“Cashflow is a very significant issue which we’ve tried to address as quickly as possible through the stimulus package we’ve put into the professional game,” Harrison mentioned.

“We came into 2020 in the best financial state that county cricket had been in for several decades, frankly, and this has thrown that into some uncertainty. We will continue to work with the counties to make sure we get through this.”

He additionally claimed that The Hundred, which has now been postponed to subsequent yr, was anticipated to make a revenue of £11 million.

Click right here to comply with LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak 

Updated Date: May 05, 2020 18:29:04 IST

Tags :

Coronavirus,

Coronavirus Outbreak,

Coronavirus Pandemic,

COVID-19,

Cricket,

ECB,

England And Wales Cricket Board,

Sports,

SportsTracker,

Tom Harrison



1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Mahatma Gandhi’s quest for equality, justice mantra for India: President Kovind

New Delhi: President Ram Nath Kovind on Friday mentioned that ethos of...

On the eve of 74th independence day, President Kovind addresses nation

New Delhi: President Ram Nath Kovind addresses the nation on the eve...

PM Modi has longest tenure as head of elected government among all PMs

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has not solely develop into the...

PM Modi has longest tenure as head of elected government among all PMs

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has not solely change into the...

Recent Comments